Smart has a campaign against scam SMS messages. They have posters aimed at increasing awareness on how to distinguish between legitimate contest announcements and scam messages promising big winnings.
Mga text na natatanggap nâ€™yo:
PANALO o PANLOLOKO?
Alamin ang pagkakaiba para hindi mabiktima!
Kapag ang taway ay mula sa 7777, opisyal mula sa SMART ang tumawag sa â€˜yo! Ikaâ€™y PANALO!
Magpapadala din sa â€™yo ang SMART ng Registered Mail na kapag natanggp mo, ikaâ€™y PANALO!
Kapag may nag-text na may libreng load ka daw pag nag-forward ng text sa mga tao, wag maniwala. Itoâ€™y PANLOKO!
Kapag may nag-text na nanalo ka sa raffle (at dapat mong bayaran ang premyo), wag sundin! Itoâ€™y PANLOLOKO!
I-report ang mga manloloko sa National Telecommunications Commission One-Stop Public Access Center (OSPAC)
BIR East Road, East Triangle, Diliman, Quezon City.
Tel. No.: 926-7722 or 436-7722
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (sic)
First, Scam messages actually contribute to Smartâ€™s revenue. Proliferation of scam messages means more SMS messages going around and more pesos in Smartâ€™s pockets.
Campaigning against scam SMS potentially decreases (perhaps insignificantly) Smartâ€™s revenue.
Okay, itâ€™s an public service effort from Smart and itâ€™s better than nothing. But itâ€™s not much compared to the millions of pesos Smart spends on full page ads selling ringtones.
Second, this reminds me of the scam message I reported to NTC. Result: I wasnâ€™t informed whether any action was taken against the scammer.
Bottom-line: Letâ€™s see more action and less lip service.
- Where can I see a list of blocked numbers resulting from reports to the NTC? None that I see at the NTC website.
- By the way, is Smart aware that their poster is displaying a wrong NTC contact e-mail address (email@example.com should be firstname.lastname@example.org).
Drives home the point, doesn’t it?
p.s. I too made the mistake of publishing “email@example.com” in an article in PTB. Iâ€™m *not* holier than thou.
Incoming search terms:
- phil com center (697)
- philippine communication center (211)
- phil info center (136)
- philippine information center (99)
- www phil com center (75)
- phil com center philippines (70)
- philippine information center avanza raffle (65)
- takayama corporation (63)
- takayama corporation in cebu (47)
- takayama corporation cebu city (42)
- philippine info center (37)
- yhs-0001 (31)
- philippine communication center cebu (31)
- philippine communication center website (29)
- philippine information center toyota hilux raffle (27)
- philippine information center toyota vios raffle (25)
- philcom center philippines (24)
- phil information center (23)
- philippine com center (23)
- phil communication center (23)